Engagement Portrait Photography
Engagement portraits give you the opportunity to choose a destination for photo-shoot to showcase your engagement. My background in fine art photography gives me experience in using unique compositions and dynamic lighting to illustrate your excitement and the love you share. These sessions are a great way for me to get to know a couple before their big day. During your session I will take a combination of posed and candid photographs.
- The most important part of an engagement session is for the couple to act naturally with each other. I will be able to help this by guiding you into poses but the chemistry between two people in love is what adds the final touch to any engagement portrait.
- As with any portrait with multiple people, I recommend color coordinating, but not matching. The most successful engagement portraits include coordination with simple color palettes. Feel free to bring multiple outfits to add variety to your photographs.
- Engagement portraits are typically done three to four months before the wedding. Many couples choose to have engagement portraits done months in advance to include photographs in save-the-date mailers or invitations. Invitations are typically mailed to guests between 4-8 weeks prior to the wedding date. Please take this into consideration when scheduling your session to allow for enough time to process and print your photographs.
- The Texas heat is a killer. If your session is at an oudoor locations during summer, remember to dress accordingly and bring plenty of water.
- Feel free to get creative with props. Bring anything that describes you: Books, bicycles, picnic basket and blanket, skateboard, etc.
- Choose a location that best describes your relationship. See below.
When choosing a location, think about the things you enjoy doing together as a couple and pick a location that holds significance to you. This could be the location where you got engaged or where the two of you often spend time together. Whether you enjoy cuddling on the couch watching movies together or hiking through untamed woods, the location should hold special meaning to you. I encourage choosing a location where you often spend your time so you feel relaxed and confident.
Here are a few suggestions to help you when deciding on a location. If you both love being outdoors, choose a location like the Green Belt or the Austin Botanical Gardens. If you want an urban feel, look for quirky Austin street art to create an interesting background. In the end, the two of you will be the main focus and the background is there to add depth and help tell your story. If you are going to choose an outside location, I suggest scheduling the session either in the evening or early morning for optimal lighting.
If purchasing an engagement session à la carte, please visit the portrait photography pricing page to view pricing information. If interested in package deals, please view the wedding photography pricing page for pricing. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to check availability.